Immigration matters


European students


“European” students are students with a nationality from:

• One of the 28 countries of the EU;
• A country included in the EEA (EU + Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein)
• Switzerland
• Monaco or Andorra

You must apply directly on our website between February 18th and June 30th.
More information:


Non-european students but living in a european country


You must apply directly on our website between February 18th and June 30th.
If your application is accepted, you will receive an authorization of enrollment. From that point on, you will be able to undertake the procedures with the French Consulate in your country of residence to obtain a student visa.
NB. Even if the « Etudes en France » procedure applies in the country of origin, non-European students residing in Europe do not need to either return to their native country nor to follow this procedure.

More information:

Non-european students but living in a country included in the "Etudes en France" procedure


Check the list on the Campus France website:

2 mandatory steps

1- You must follow the « Etudes en France » procedure until you obtain a student visa.
Create your private electronic file and follow the instructions. If necessary, contact the Campus France platform in your country of residence for more information
Warning : Make sure you select the following program on the Campus France platform: « Master Sciences, technologies, santé, mention Chimie, Université Paris Descartes, Faculté des sciences fondamentales et biomédicales, Site de Paris ». If you select another school than Paris Descartes, we will not be able to validate your file for you to obtain your visa. It will then be delayed.
Please send an email to as soon as you have submitted your COMPLETE application on Campus France, so that we can validate it.

2- You must concurrently apply on our website February 1st and June 30th or your application will NOT be examined.

More information:

Non-european students but living in a country NOT included in the "Etudes en France" procedure


You must apply directly on our website between February 1st and June 30th.
If your application is accepted, you will receive an authorization of enrollment. From that point on, you will be able to undertake the procedures with the French Consulate in your country of residence to obtain a student visa.

More information:

NB : As visa matters tend to take a lot of time, we recommend that you apply as early as possible. We are not responsible for the obtaining of your visa, so you must anticipate and respect our batch schedule.



Tuition fees


The tuition fees for European students will be as usual and the exact amount will be announced in July but it is usually around 350€* for the M1 (including the CVEC) and 350€* for the M2 (including the CVEC) .

As far as Non-European students are concerned, we will get some information in July. If we find out before July, it will appear here. There is a high probability that the tuition fees for non-European students will be as Campus France announces below. So bear in mind this possibility.

This is the information which Campus France published about the tuition fees:

Tuition fees must be paid in person, upon completion of the administrative registration.

* subject to modification





We do not provide housing, therefore you will have to look for an accommodation on your own.

Here are a few tips that could help you out:

We highly recommend that you look for an accommodation before your arrival, as it can be hard to find a good one in Paris. Most students pay between 400 and 600€ per month for accommodation. We would like to warn you that the rents are high so unless you are lucky to get a room at the CIUP residence, you will most likely get a room for a high price.

Prices depend on the area, for example, districts 5, 6, 16 and 8 are the most expensive ones. Yet you can find cheaper rents in districts 18, 19 and 20 or in the suburbs.


Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris: CIUP

Located in the south of Paris, the International University Campus called Cité Internationale Universitaire (CIUP) has a number of different “houses” (Canadian House, Japanese House, German House, American House, etc.) where foreign students can apply to live. You can apply directly on their website.

NB. We recommend that you apply as soon as you receive your authorization of enrollment because their rooms are highly sought after. The cost of a room is usually between € 450 and 600.


Les Estudines

Les Estudines offer entirely furnished and equipped accommodation for students.

In order to Book accommodation there:

– Pick a student residence on their website

– or call the regional (Ile-de-France) booking center: 09 69 39 22 00 (free of charge)

You need to contact the booking center even if the student residences already appear as fully booked, because availabilities can change every day (departures, cancellations…etc.).


Shared housing

In some cases, the best way is to share an apartment where you will have a bigger place at a lower price.


Private owners and real estate agencies

You can find accommodation online on your own.

– Be very careful because unfortunately, even in Paris there are frauds. If you rent an apartment before your arrival, never send money to the owner without an official contract.
– Apartment agencies being quite expensive, we would recommend that you try to find on your own first.
– Some dishonest agencies ask you to pay in exchange for a list of apartments. Never pay for a list, you only pay when you have chosen an apartment!

Here are a few websites you can check out:

Healthcare system


Students will not pay for the student social security anymore BUT each student MUST report to the social security center closest to their place of residence in order to register for social security.

Whether you are a French or an international student, you can find he procedure on Please follow the instructions and proceed:

Social Security hotline:

  • in English from France: 0 811 36 36 46 – 0.06 € / min + price of call
  • in English from abroad: 0033 811 36 36 46
  • in French from France: 3646 – 0.06 € / min + price of call

Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Social Security provides students with social coverage while studying in France. To increase the amount of their healthcare expenses that is reimbursed, they may take out complementary health insurance, or mutuelle. It is strongly recommended. To get more information:


European students: if you have the « carte européenne d’assurance maladie » (European Health Insurance Card), you will have to make the advance payment of your medical costs which will be (partially or fully) reimbursed afterwards.

Students from Québec: there is a special form (SE-401-Q-106) that also allows you to be reimbursed (partially or fully) afterwards after you make the advance payment of your medical costs.



Each student MUST get the following insurance coverage:

  • French social security, mandatory (cf Healthcare system section)
  • Complementary health insurance (mutuelle), strongly recommended (cf Healthcare system section)
  • Civil liability insurance to cover you from damages caused to others, mandatory

NB. Civil liability insurance covers personal injuries or property damages you may have caused to a third party, voluntarily or involuntarily, during private, curricular or extracurricular activities, on or off campus, in France or abroad.
Please be aware that this type of insurance does not cover any personal injuries or property damages that you may sustain.
Civil liability is usually included in the housing insurance you subscribe to when you rent a room or an apartment. But if you stay at a hotel, share an apartment or stay at a friend’s free of charge, and hence do not have any insurance contract, you must subscribe to an individual civil liability insurance.
For reference, this type of insurance is now offered by most banks, in addition to major insurance companies. We suggest that you inquire at the bank where you opened your bank account in France.
You must verify that your current Civil Liability insurance also covers you during your internship. Contact your insurance provider and explain clearly what you are about to do.


Foreign students must know the following:

  • It is strongly recommended for foreign students to include the repatriation clause in their personal insurance in case you need to be sent back to your country for medical reasons.
  • It will take some time for your registration at social security to proceed. Therefore, it is mandatory that you take an insurance in your home country which will cover you for everything for the first 3 months of your stay in France.

Warning: do not count on your credit card (carte bleue) to cover you for civil liability and complementary health insurance. Moreover, you must be really careful about the cases in which you are covered in general because they are usually very rare.



There are 14 Metro lines and 5 RER lines that enable you to move quickly in Paris or Ile-de-France.

The first Metro services start at around 5:30 am and the last ones finish around 12:30 am on weekdays and 1:45 am on Fridays, Saturdays and evenings of public holidays. Full details available on

Travel passes and fares
– Imagine’R package (student pass 26 years-old and under)
– Forfait Navigo available weekly (€ 22,15) or monthly (€ 73).
– More information including maps and routes on


Velib is a simple and free rental bike system. With over 23,600 bikes covering the city, available 24/7 all year long in 1,800 stations every 300m, Velib is a great alternative way to move around in Paris.
Full details including subscription rates, map of stations, cycling tours are available on



Eiffel Scholarships



Warning: the deadline for our program is earlier than the Campus France deadline. Our deadline to send your complete application is November 30th (for the next academic year). So you need to apply between November 1st and November 30th of each year for the next academic year. You must attach to your request for an application to the Eiffel scholarship the following documents:

  • CV in English
  • Personal statement in English
  • Ttranscripts from all your higher education years in English or French only
  • Higher education diploma(s) if you have any at the time of application
  • Two letters of recommendation
  • A certificate of English language (IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC, Cambridge).

Contact address:



Here is the procedure:

• Check if you are eligible in the Eiffel program guide:

• If you are eligible, send us a request with all the documents mentioned above before November 30th (for the next academic year)
• If your application is selected by the Neuro-Paris master’s program committee, you will be informed and you will be sent an application form
• Fill out pages 1 and 2 only
• Send your complete application with all the necessary documents before December 10th at 6pm CET time
• We will fill out the other parts and send it to Campus France

Send all your emails to:

NB. You cannot apply for the Eiffel scholarship on your own. You MUST contact us () and follow the above procedure between November 1st and November 30th.



We strongly recommend that you look for other scholarships on your side (ask the French embassy in your country) because the Eiffel scholarship is extremely competitive and it gives priority to new comers, ie students who have never been to France before. If you are already living in France at the time you are applying, the Neuroscience master’s programs’ committee will not select your application.

MIEM Scholarships


The MIEM program, funded by Université de Paris, aims at attracting talented students from abroad and have them undertaking a master at Université de Paris.

The MIEM program is restricted to foreign students that have not previously attended a French university. The applicant must be less than 30 years of age on September 1st 2020.

Foreign students completing a French baccalaureate exam are not eligible.

Students with dual nationalities, one of them being French, are not eligible.

More information about the 2020/2021 academic year campaign coming soon.